Toothless Cosplay: The Last Night Fury

So May ComicCon is over! Almost a year’s worth of work finally realised in the form of a dragon. It was often rather stressful and time consuming, but I think the end result was worth it:

10985437_10153867046575410_8148268110458630643_nTa-da! I’m so happy with it! Overall costing came to approximately £50, which I think is pretty decent. Although if I’d had more time I’d have attached more scales to the dress (and with a more secure method than super glue!!)

I did make a tail, however at the last minute I decided to ditch it; it hadn’t gone the way I’d wanted it to, and I had a feeling people would keep treading on it 😦

(I do enjoy imagining the face of the Premier Inn cleaner who found a tail in the bin of our room)

The response to my cosplay was amazing. Wherever I went I heard a *gasp* “TOOTHLESS!” And I even met a couple of other HTTYD cosplayers!

11209469_10153867047655410_3274561921741041277_n

Job well done methinks!

Advertisements

Toothless Cosplay: Wings

Some of you may remember a while back that I had a little survey on which cosplay to do for Comic Con in May. The overall winner was Toothless! Well I haven’t forgotten, I have been busy!

Here is my initial design:

1972302_835700839774107_622859521040206242_n

Fancy, isn’t it?

Materials and Spending:

4 metres black scuba diving-like material – £20 (Local Market)
20 metres Garden PVC coated wire – £6.48 (B&Q)
2 bottles of standard kid’s PVA glue – £2 (Wilkinsons)
3 gauze bandages – (my mum’s medicine cupboard)
Duct Tape or Brown tape – (from the kitchen in the drawer)
2 metres thick black elastic – £2 (Local Market)
Black thread – £1 (Local Market)

Total spendage so far: £31.48

The Wings

Following my rough design, we lay the wire out into the basic shape, and built up the structure from there, securing with tape as shown below:

10614398_848441371833387_4954938812724436724_n

Then I made a cheap modroc with old gauze bandages and PVA glue to make the wire frame more sturdy. This was a lot more difficult than it sounds, as my mother forced me to do it outside so I wouldn’t ruin the carpet. Let’s just say the friendly neighbourhood cats got a little too friendly…

DSC00529

Once dry, this layer was quite rough, so I put a layer of newspaper over the top to stop it snagging on the material.

15676_852569348087256_2336013158946692352_n

Then finally we cut the material to slide the frame into. We sewed the bottom and the side first so we could turn it inside out and put the frame in before hand sewing the rest. Each individual bone part in the wing had to be sewn around to create a more awesome wing effect.
This. Took. Forever. But it was worth it.

DSC00552

When all of the sewing was finally done (quite badly if I’m honest, but only if you look up close) I had to try and find a way to attach the wings to me and keep them attached. Cue elastic!

I made straps for my arms, but that failed miserably. The wings needed to be attached together at the top and bottom, but then that still didn’t work too well. So I made a belt too. Finally, they stay on properly. Here’s a few pictures of the finished wings. I’m rather proud! 🙂

DSC02293 DSC02299 DSC02306

For an amateur cosplayer, I think they’re pretty good! Now just to get on with everything else! Can’t wait to get it all finished. I’m so excited!

Special thanks to my mum for some of the ideas and all the help she gave me :3